Course Selection/Schedule Information
Course Selection Process for 23-24
This year's advisement process is different from past years. Teachers are NOT providing recommendations but have engaged in conversations with students about options, opportunities and interests while considering current grades, work habits and outside commitments. The goal is to empower students to select courses that they are both interested in and that they believe they will be successful in. We want to strike a balance between encouraging students to push themselves and being realistic about what courses they will be successful taking. We encourage all students to discuss their course selection options with parents/guardians so that they are prepared for their counselor appointment.
Timeline for Course Selection
- Teachers discuss next year course options with students
- Parents and students can view the courses that were discussed with teachers via the Academic Plan in student and parent portals in Infinite Campus
- Email notification of the student's scheduled date/time to meet with their counselor to finalize the courses they plan to take
- Students meet with counselors to finalize courses for 23-24. As counselors meet with students, courses will be updated and become final course selections. These will be viewable by students and parents in the Infinite Campus portal.
Scheduled timeline for student course selection appointments
Current Freshmen- January 2- 6
Current Sophomores- January 9- January 13
Current Juniors- January 30- February 3
It is important that you come to your appointment with the courses you are interested in AND at least 2 alternative electives. We do our best to get students into their first choice course, but this is not always possible. Student's final schedules may include a combination of their first choice and alternative course options in any department.
A few additional reminders as you plan:
- We highly encourage all students and parents to choose the appropriate level of course based on the teacher's conversations, as well as a consideration for the overall balance/difficulty of their selections. We want all students challenged, but also able to be active, healthy participants in the Red Devil community. Teachers advise students without knowing the conversations happening in other classes and we want to ensure that students are not overloading themselves. Level changes, up or down, once the school year begins are not possible so courses should be chosen with the intent of completing the semester and/or full-year.
- After Feb. 6, changes to course selections will be on a SPACE AVAILABLE BASIS ONLY beginning in May. After our schedule change window closes (TBD), we will ONLY make changes prior to the school year starting if we receive documentation from a college/university that a course is required. Our policy will remain the same, with no additional course changes being available once the new school year begins and students being required to remain in the course for a minimum of 5 days prior to dropping to a study hall. If a student already has a study hall, it may not be possible to drop a course at all. Students WILL NOT have the option to drop a course and pick up a different course.